Monday, January 3, 2011

Homemade BBQ Chicken

(source) 
To start the new year off, my lovely husband has said that he is going to eat healthier.  Now don't get me wrong, I am super psyched he feels this way, but how stereotypical of a resolution, right? Oh, plus I forgot to mention the boy hates vegetables!  So, in my greatest attempt to not sound condescending, I asked  him to elaborate on how he would like to achieve this.  Turns out, being "healthier" means eating more chicken and fish, with an occasional vegetable that he will eat if I make. Hmmm, alright so since CK wanted to use the grill, we decided on BBQ chicken, with bow-tie pasta (little bit of margarine and shredded parm), and yellow and white corn.  (he ate all the corn! I figured I would start slow and not give him a dreaded GREEN vegetable). Not the healthiest, but this will be a work in progress.

Quick Homemade BBQ sauce (since we were out)
*We like ours, more southern, a little sweet and a little hot, all the ingredients are optional

What I used from around my house:
  • 4 fl oz apple cider vinegar
  • 4 fl oz  ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
  • 4 fl oz orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons mustard ( I used Dijon)
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • A good dashes of hot sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
Toss them all together on medium-low heat in a saucepan, stirring to properly "gently" mix for about 5 minutes.  Make sure that it does NOT boil, so if it look a little bubbly, turn it down lower.  Let sit for another 3-5 minutes off the heat, then you are ready to give your meat a bath. :)




What do you do when you are out of your favorite sauce, give up, or create it?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the bbq sauce recipe! I stole your idea and mixed some up with shredded chicken and stirfry veggies for dinner tonight. http://inanenvelope.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/sweet-and-salty-stirfry/

    As far as getting more veggies in the diet, We've gotten in the habit over the last year to add more into dishes like rice and pasta. I love frozen stirfry veggies for this!

    ReplyDelete