Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wedding Wednesday-You've got mail!

(personal photo)

Today, no joke, CK and I got two wedding invites for March, luckily different weekends.  It so fun to see the pretty envelopes intermixed with your bills.  However, yikes, we have a lot of weddings to go to this year!  I know someone once told me, they had to decline some weddings once because it is so expensive to attend the events, especially if they are out of town and they have to stay in a hotel.  I thought this was crazy, because I love attending weddings. However, since I haven't been working to bring in extra money, I can see how this can be financially draining fast. Plus I am beginning to realize I have no open Saturdays for a long time.  This got me to thinking, are CK and I extrememly popular, or is it something else? Like maybe our age group per say?!?!

(source)
So, not to air my age and all, but I am 26 and CK is 27.  Since most of the weddings we are attending in 2011 (which were are currently at 6+ and counting) are people that are around our age bracket, I began to think maybe our age is the culprit here and not necessarily our popularity.  So, I googled it, to see what the average age people are getting married is.  Wikipedia was my friend in this task and gave me stats from 2007, for all the different countries.  You can see the article here.

For the USA it says the average age for men is 27.5 and for women it is 25.6, so looks like CK and I were pretty average.  Interesting side note, the oldest average for men is in Japan at 35 and the lowest average for Women getting married is in Niger, Africa at 17.6, yikes!


So I ask you this...
Do you struggle with balancing all your wedding invites?  and how old did you think you would be when you got married?


1 comment:

  1. I definitely think it is an "age bracket" thing. Over the last several years we've noticed quite an increase.

    It can be challenging to go to all of them. For us, it's the traveling that is the most difficult to attend everyone's wedding. Since we live 3,000 miles away, it is more than just the cost of the hotel - it's the cost of a flight and the cost of taking off work. We have to plan pretty far out in advance, but most people are understanding when we aren't able to make it.

    ReplyDelete