Thursday, December 30, 2010

Buffalo Mac and Cheese Cups

(source) 
I'm telling you right now, if you are on a diet, stop reading now...This was a very tasty treat for us the other night.  I love mac and cheese, well probably cheese in general, and CK loves things that are HOT, like wings.  So why not put our two comfort foods together?! Plus, we were snowed in, so I was trying to use stuff we had around the house.  After CK agree that he thought this was a good idea, I then thought of how I could make this even better.  Then it hit me, why not make mini mac and cheeses so that he could take a couple here and there to work, easier. Just like the birds nests I made at this post. which CK took with him to work for a quick breakfast on the go.  Here's the final ta-da...

What you need:
-Noodles (I used a mixture of elbow macaroni and mini penne since I had a little of each)
-2 cups shread cheese ( I used 1 cup mexican mix, 1 cup Italian mix)
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
-Bread crumbs
- 3 cups milk
-3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of blue cheese dressing (or you could use crumbs)
-6 tablespoons of butter
-1 large onion finely chopped
-Buffalo sauce
-Buffalo Chicken (Deceiving trick: I used the pre-packaged buffalo chicken from the freezer but you could use your homemade buffalo fried chicken if you are feeling especially domestic)


How I did it:


Preheat oven at 350. Boil water and toss in pasta as you would typically make. While this is happening, you should begin making the cheese sauce.  Toss butter and chopped onion on medium heat to saute onions.  Toss with salt and pepper for taste.  You want to cook for about 5 minutes, just enough for the onions to become clear.

Next, you want to toss in the flour and stir constantly.  Proceed by tossing in slowly, while whisking, milk, sour cream, and blue cheese.  Stir for about 2 minutes ( it will be thicken by the flour).  Now toss in the cheese and continue to whisk for another 2-3 minutes, gently folding the cheeses together into the mixture.
Push back the hit to low and let sit.  Prepare your chicken next, basically cooked.  For me, I chopped up my frozen strips into small pieces, after I had already thrown them into the microwave for 90 seconds.  This made them easier to chop up.  Toss the pieces into the cheesy mixture as well the drained noodles because they should be done by now.
Gently mix together.  Next, I got out my muffin pans and lined them with some spray margarine.  I filled each cup to the top and it filled two pans exactly.  Then I sprinkled on some breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese just like the old fashion mac and cheese.  I gave each muffin two dashes of extra hot sauce and toss into the over for 25 minutes.  If you are in need of a comfort food, look no further :)



What is your favorite comfort food?






*(all personal photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment