Sunday, December 5, 2010

We're having A "Katie"...Traditionally called a "Bobbie"

(source)
If you have no clue what I am talking about, then Google "the Bobbie", you'll see.  There is a hoagie ("sub" for non-philly readers) shop called "Capriotti's" and they are known for the thanksgiving hoagie.  It has shredded turkey breast, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and a little bit of mayo.  If you are totally grossed out, I understand, but all the flavors actually work together, I swear!
(source)
So, this year's thanksgiving was very different.  The person who usually cooks was feeling a little under-the-weather, so my aunt and I shared duties of all food making (yikes!) It went over pretty well though, so I deceivingly pulled of being a good little domestic housewife.  However, get this...I didn't get to bring home any of the leftovers!!! I have no clue how this happen, but that's one of the best parts of thanksgiving. I did get back all my dishes and platters empty however, but, ummm BOO.  So, I decided to make homemade Bobbies for the hubby and I, with a few tricks up my sleeve...
(personal photo)
So, first deceiving move was to pick up this Turkey Breast at Target, (sometimes target can be good for food and prices).   These were on sale for $5, scooore, I hoped!  The nice thing about this was that it came in a bag and could go from freezer to oven with no thawing. It cooks for about 2 1/2 hours and made my house smell like a domestic heaven.  I used my Martha Stewart thermometer to make sure it was done and made sure to put it deep in the thickest part of the bird so I know that it got to the right temp.  (Note: Apparently, It's important to make sure it's in the thickest part of your bird said Martha).
(source)

While the turkey was cooking, I sauteed some chopped onion and celery with a little bit of butter, salt, and pepper.  I tossed them into a bowl with a little turkey stock and Pepperidge Farm bread cubes.  Oh la laa, instant stuffing. Can you smell thanksgiving??
(source)
I used canned cranberry sauce, though I know, Martha would have made her own, but I was running out of time! Something to comment on though, I used whole berry sauce because I thought the chunks of full berries meshed well with the stuffing shapes, you know, like square and round together.  I toasted the rolls a little and then the final results... Just what I was craving...
(personal photo)
 Now, my husband add cheese to his but I, surprisingly, did not.  He claimed it was a great addition, something to think about for new time.




How do you eat your thanksgiving leftovers?


No comments:

Post a Comment