Sunday, December 26, 2010

What was in our cookie bag : Penguin Oreos :)

(source)
 I saw this photo of penguin oreos from Gourmet Mom On-the-go and I just knew that I had to figure out some way to concoct it with the supplies I already had from the snowman project.  I have to admit though, it was a tough project and I would have done some things differently. But here's how I did it...

What you need:
-a case of Oreos
-1 bag of dark chocolate melts
-1 bag of white chocolate melts
-1/6 bag of milk chocolate chips
-2 gel icing pens (orange and black)

How I did it:
I used Dark Chocolate mint candy to melt because one of CK's favorite cookies is a Thin Mint from the Girl's Scouts and I thought the oreo plus mint chocolate would replicate that as a special surprise.  I used my microwaveable measuring cup to slowly melt them in the microwave.  About 1 minute, stir, than another 35 seconds.  Dipping each oreo in, making sure to cover the entire cookie.  (my hands were a little messy, hence no photos of the dipping process).  They were placed on a cookie sheet that I lined with aluminum foil.  I would most likely recommend using parchment paper, but I was out, so I used the something else around the house, foil, and to be honest it worked just as well.
I placed the cookies in the fridge to help the chocolate set and then rinsed out my measuring cup so I could add the white chocolate.  After melting the white chocolate the same way as the last, the dark chocolate had harden.  I used a spoon to help spoon out the white bellies of my penguin and placed them back in the fridge to set.  I could have tried to make them more like white hearts, but I was running out of time, and CK was telling me how this was all unnecessary and people would have been just as happy with plan oreos. (so ridiculous, can you see it now? here's a bag of oreos, Merry Christmas, uhh no!) Once again, about 5 minutes later after clean-up, they were ready for the next step, the eyes.
You have to look close at this photo and you will see two chocolate chips for the eyes of the penguin.  I only had gel icing so I knew it wouldn't look as nice as a royal icing that would not be see-through.  However, it could be used as a glue to keep the chips on and then I added an extra dot for the pupils.  They went back in the fridge to set again, for about 5 minutes.

The Final product.  I took my orange gel icing from the snowman project and used it to add a beak and feet.  I'm not a fan of this gel icing because it is see-through.  The original posted oreo looked much better, but like I said, I was trying to use up the stuff I had, not go out and buy more.  In her post above, I think she used orange chocolate melts, however, I think that could be hard to do precise things like feet and beaks.....And then, as I read my blogs, you are not going to believe it but I saw these....how awesome and talk about a kick in the stomach, there's always next year, right?
(source)

However, they aren't oreos, they are just sugar cookies, and CK said oreos are better anyday.  What a good husband :)




What did you dip in chocolate this season??




No comments:

Post a Comment