Sunday, December 26, 2010

What was in our Cookie bags-Melted snowman brownies

First, I saw these and felt in love...
(source) 
and then I knew I had to figure out a way to recreate these to go with our bark to put in our cookie bags for our Aunts.  But, I'm not a huge fan of sugar cookies.  Don't get me wrong, they are great for projects like this, or with M&Ms, but I was thinking of ways I could tweak this cute idea.  Then it hit me, if I used brownies, then it would look like dirt!  Then while I was shopping, I saw these brownies that included oreos and marshmellows, a.k.a. soil and snow, Peeeeerfect!


What you need:
-homemade brownies or the Mississippi Mud Brownie box kit
-5 large Marshmellos
-Royal icing or (decieving trick) Duncan Hines vanialla glaze
-orange and black icing or gel tube

How I did It:

First, make brownies as you would or by box directions.  These included using oreo crumbs and butter as the bottom of the pan and sprinkled on top.  Mini marshmellows were also included throughout the batter.  Once cooled, cut into squares, large enough to create a melted snowman, mine made 9.  Then, the next part is the melted snow.  You can use icing or the easy-to-use glaze from Duncan Hines that I used.  You just pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds, shake well, and then glaze.  Make sure that you have it dripping off the edge of the brownies so it looks like it's melting. Then on a plate, pop 5 marshmallows in the microwave for about 20 seconds.  You don't want them in there too long.  Pull them apart into halves and push into the icing to create the snowman head.  Once that it done, toss them in the fridge for about 10 minutes to start setting.  The last part is added the features of our snowman.  I used gel icing because it was easy to maneuver but I didn't like the see-throughness of it.  Also, they should go back in the fridge over night to set.  I took them out for xmas eve gifts later that day, and they smeared a little when I put them in the bags.  The ones I used for Christmas day however, we more set.  The final product...



Pretty cute, right?


Any holiday gifts out there that quite possibly may not be worth the hassle they were to create?

1 comment:

  1. I love this!! We're making Melted Snow People for our yearly ornaments and we always make a dessert so this year we'll make these to go along with them! So cute and tasty, too, I'll bet!

    ReplyDelete