Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wedding Wednesday-The Case: The book of Guests

(source)

Dear Bridal Shrink,

HI! I need your opinion because my mama and I are arguing over the dread guest book.  I think it's unnecessary.  What will I do with this overly-priced book once the wedding is over?  She says it is a wedding staple, that you just have to have, she even put it in the same importance as the dang cake.  Do you believe this is true?  Guest books are overrrrrated, right?

Thanks for the help,
-Not signing my name just like my guests from NC:)
(source)

Hey Bride!!!
The above photo is a traditional wedding guest book type.  I bet this is what you are thinking about when your Mom discusses this topic.  Here's the thing, the guest book, shouldn't be something to fight over nor stress over. It's just another little part of the many details that make up a wedding, but to me probably not as important as the wedding cake.  However, each bride has to rank her details and some may think the dress is more important than the cake, and so on.  I think, traditionally, a guest book was used as a keepsake to remember who attended your special day, a place where they could write their address for those dreaded thank-you notes, and a place where they can write some wishes of luck or words of wisdom.  This site's article is titled "what's the purpose of a guest book at a wedding?"...so please know that there are many people out there questioning this task, so you're not alone! 


Something I can tell you about my wedding is that I didn't have a ton of time to talk to all my guests, so I am glad I had a memento to remember everyone that was there.  However, I too, did not want a book because I felt like you didn't do much with the book once it was over.  So if you read my blog post a few weeks ago found here, you will see that the above photos represent my unique guest book idea.  It was a coloring book that each guest filled in a section, then signed their name.  It was a little tricky to explain to my parents at first, but everyone had fun with it and now I have a piece of artwork for my house!  There was canvas explaining it though that read...
The Guestbook
In Lieu of a guest book
The bride has created this piece of art
That we would like each guest to color it
Straight from their heart

Pick a Number
a color and a shade.
Don't worry the bride won't analyze
the choice that you have made.

So here's your chance to be creative
Maybe the groom with have pink hair
or the bride's dress green or blue
don't worry, it's up to you, we don't care!
Cute, right?  There are so many other creative options for guest books, but here's just a few...I'm thinking if you aren't totally against having a guest book, maybe you can find a fun alternative option, so that you Mom has the guest book and you don't have an overrated book :)
This bride and groom aired their "dirty laundry" for their guestbook found here...

And this site shows you that you can pick any random object that goes with your wedding theme and have your guests sign it!  I think it would be super cool to have one of these hanging on my house walls.

If you frequent wedding blogs, than you would have probably seen this idea that is a thumbprint tree!  I think it is very unique, you just want to think about your guests with colored fingers.? hmmm...red prints on your white dress, would definitely be a buzz-kill.

(source)
(source)

(source)



This above photos are to represent two different ideas.  I have seen brides who have a Polaroid camera or photo booth where guest can then tape their photos into a book and write a message next to their photos.  Also, you could have a book created from your engagement photos or previous photos and have guests sign on the photo pages.  This is a way to share these photos with your guests who may have not had a chance to see them, plus its a new fun coffee table book for you!

Or, if you are doing a vintage wedding, maybe you want all your guests to type their name like they did before we blogged on pink computers, found here...
Or a wedding quilt for your guests to sign found here.
(source)
And how great is this guest book wishing tree with the pearls and tags is totally fabulous.

(source)
Or fun, all different kinds of postcards from your area or that spark your interest!!


OK, that's enough, you get this point, or at least I hope.  I close by saying, no darling, I don't think the guest book is a priority, but each bride has to rank her own priorities, so maybe it is?  And, if it's important to your mother, than there are alternatives that you may find will make the overrated task more fun for you and your future husband (weird to say that right?)  Good luck it will all be fabulous, with or without a guest book, I'm sure!

Gotta question? Email me at bridalshrink@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment