Thursday, December 16, 2010

DIY Christmas Tree Part Three- The Star Topper

(source)

Do you have an angel, star, or bow for the top of your tree?  It's tricky sometimes to pick especially when some people like the above photo are doing some crazy alternative options!
(source)

This year we got a real tree!  I asked CK what he wanted for the top of the tree and he said he was confused.  I explained to him the traditional options and then some crazy things, and he said "oh, I thought we'd just have a star, but whatever babe".  Hmmm... he made a decision and I am sticking to it! Star it is.

However, now that I already DIYed the ornaments, it might look weird if the star was this big sparkly thing.  (even though yes, I love all things sparkle)...So, I DIYed the star too...
(personal photo)
I was really just looking for a wooden star that I was somehow going to put up on the tree until I saw this star box.  I'm sure you've seen them in the wood craft section, see the opening at the bottom? Wouldn't that be perfect for the top of the tree to go into?  Then, I thought, why not make it yarn covered to match the balls and the garland that I crocheted.  Oh, here's a pic of that with the pine-cone lights. It's just  the first stitch row of loops, over and over again. You can see it in the upper corner...

(personal photo)
Ok, back on track...So I took the left over white sparkly yarn and wrapped it all around the wooden star.  Once I thought it was covered to the best that it could be, I tied a knot in the back.  You could probably hot glue gun it too, if you think it might unwind.  And, tada...
(personal photo)
Pretty cute, right?  Pottery barn meets Charlie Brown :)


Did you coordinate your tree topper with the rest of the tree and the room?


No comments:

Post a Comment