Tuesday, December 7, 2010

the smell of the sea:dislike

(source)
I hate the smell of fish, or anything from the sea, in my house.  When my parents would make fish, I literally couldn't be on the same floor of the house.  It was like instant gag reflex.  As I've gotten older, I have slowly changed.  I know love shrimp, especially spicy or on the grill. I also eat crab, but basically because I love the buttery-old bay mixture.  So, when my husband said he wanted fish once a week, my childhood trauma was flashing back.  A few months ago, I bite the bullet and went over to the seafood counter at my local store.  The guy was super nice as I explained that my fiance (at the time) loved fish and I don't so what kind of fish, doesn't well smell like a fish.  He laughed of course, but then told me that Tilapia and Flounder are the softest kind of fish as apposed to like trout or salmon that will have more of a fishy taste.  Tilapia it was and has been since then.

So tonight's dinner, Lighted Breaded Tilapia and Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Cheese Sauce.
(personal photo)
Tilapia For two:

*I have stomach issues with certain protein and eggs is one of them.  So I do not use egg in the mixture.

Ask the seafood guy 2 large pieces of tilapia, sometimes I get three depending on the price.  I will say "enough for two people".  Melt 1/6 stick of butter in a bowl and add 4 squirts of lemon juice. Take the fish for a swim in the mixture than light pat breadcrumbs from another bowl.  I made them in the toaster over because there is only two of us and I often use the toaster/convection oven more than my actual oven, if it's just us.  Cook at 350 for about 10-15 minutes (it cooks fast). oh P.s. I always line tray with aluminum foil for easy clean up :)

(personal photo)

  DECEIVING PART: The gnocchi was a fabulous buy from Trader Joes the other day.  One of our favorite dishes when we were in Italy was gnocchi with Gorgonzola cheese.  If you have never had it, this quick fix side is pretty decent.  One day I will have my husband's Grandmother teach me how to make it her way, but for now this totally worked.  Oh, for those of you not into Italian dishes, Gnocchi is like a doughy pasta and it melts in your mouth.  You have to try it sometime.

We ended it with a little applesauce sprinkled with Cinnamon, because its my guy's favorite.  

What's on your table tonight?


No comments:

Post a Comment