Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wedding Wednesday-The Case of the Costly BM dresses


(source)


Dear Bridal Shrink,

I swear I am not a Bridezilla. Or at least I don't think I am?  I am having 9 bridesmaids, is that too much?  Anyway, it took me forever to find a dress that I liked for them to wear, so I thought they would understand when I excitedly texted them my pick.  Two of them complained about the color, right away.  It was pink, I can tell you ARE a fan, right? And almost all of them asked if there was anyway we could find it for less as I want them to get their hair, makeup, and nails done too.  They also said no to pink shoes, but I was thinking that would be nice.  The dress cost $355.  Do you think that's too much to ask of them?  Just wondering your thoughts.

Thanks,
A non-Bridezilla Bride from NJ

(source)
My darling Jersey Bride-to-be,

First, Congrats on your wedding!! You have stumbled upon a very stressful task of pleasing everyone.  This issue will most likely come up again throughout this process.  The BM dresses are almost as tricky to pick as your own dress!  By the way, I hope you picked your dress already because I think it's important that you know how your dress will look with theirs.  Ok, so for your answers...1. I don't think you are a bridezilla yet, hahah you will have to wait and see how things roll out.  2. As for the color...yes, I love pink so I clearly wouldn't pitch a fit if I was in your wedding.  My girls wore fuchsia with pale pink bows and did it with style...
(personal photo)
As a bride, I know how hard it can be to pick the dress and your wedding colors.  For the ones that didn't like the color, oh well.  It's your wedding and the colors can become very important.  If you love it, go for it.  Not everyone in my bridal party loved pink, but they knew I was a hotpink kinda girl.  3. The cost...I hate to be the one to tell you, but it's kind of a cardinal rule to try and keep it under $200.  Now, I have no clue who made up that rule so I don't think it can be that important or set-in-stone.  I googled average cost of BM dresses and saw this article where most people are saying $50-$150.  Now you have to be a pretty fabulous bride, to find a dress for $50, so I would have to say that's unpractical!  Things to think about are the fabric and length, which can make it more or less money respectively.  If you are having a short cotton dress than you would hope that would be less money than a long ballgown with a sash like my girls. (Note: I actually got the dresses for my girls from a shop in Delaware called Irini's originals who gave us a great discount  for $192 originally over $400 and will match any price, so you should check them out! and no I did not receive money to say that)
(source)
In this article from Costhelper.com, it discusses how length and different fabrics can cost you a lot more ($250+).  You should really try and think about all your girls.  Where are they in their lives and can they afford to spend this?  The thing is that alterations will most likely be needed and that will be an extra cost.  The hair, make-up, nails, and shoes? More money for your girls to shovel out.  I understand how you don't want anyone walking down the isle looking like a hot-mess too, because that is a fear of all brides.
(source)

If you love the dresses and can't find anywhere else to get them cheaper, there a few things you could do.  Ask the shop or designer if there are any discounts.  Sometimes they have sales on certain colors, styles, or party of 5+.  Since you need 9, you should definitely push that!  Maybe you consider letting the girls do their own nails and wearing shoes of a similar color that they may already have.  My mom and I paid for our girl's hair and make-up as a way to cut the cost down for them and used it towards their BM gift.  Once again, depends on where you are financially, but the salon cut us a deal on my make-up since we paid for all the girls.  It nevvvver hurts to ask the vendors where you can get discounts!!!  Do you know anyone else getting married this year or within the past year?  Maybe ask them too.  I know for me, I went to 4 weddings last year and I have 5 for next year already!

In the end, I always had in my head, if I was in their wedding, would I be ok paying for all this? 

Hope this helped!

Sending you love from the bridal shrink :)


Gotta Question? Email me at the Bridalshrink@gmail.com



1 comment:

  1. I also think that it is a bridesmaid's responsibility to be honest about what she can and can do financially from the beginning. Many maids think it's all about the title, but really it is an expensive role. I think it is in poor taste to accept an invitation to be a part of the wedding without letting the bride know that there may be challenges in getting a dress, shoes, etc. It doesn't have to be a big deal, just a "yes, of course I will be a part of a wedding but I am on a tight budget. Can I be included in the conversation about dresses and expectations so it doesn't become an issue later on?"

    Great advice, bridalshrink! ;)

    ReplyDelete